There is no better time to start living healthy than now.
The older I get, the more conscious I am of what I put in my body. I have learned to listen to my body when it needs certain nutrients. Having a Vitamin B12 deficiency has forced me to do so.
Some days I can be very sluggish if I forget to take my vitamins, (which I frequently forget – naughty I know!). I feel lethargic, it’s hard to focus and also can effect my memory some days and it has its effects on the nervous system. These things REALLY annoy me.
I am very stubborn when it comes to myself. I hate when I cannot do something. I also have chronic back issues resulting in sciatica (yay), so I know I have to take it easy some days.
It’s no secret as we grow older, we develop certain issues health-wise. So lately, I feel I need to pay more attention to my health. I mean, where would we be without it, right?
I’m a big believer in making slow changes to your lifestyle and habits. That’s what will stick. I don’t like diets. I have tried in the past, and if they work, it’s only a temporary solution. The best is to eat healthy, balanced, don’t deprive yourself of anything and to exercise. Even if it’s just walking a few times a week.
When I manage to incorporate a new habit slowly in to my life, such as regular yoga, jogging and such, I then start on a new health-habit.
My favorite one I started this year is drinking lemon water first thing in the mornings. I can’t stress enough how great this has been. Just simply cut a few slices of lemon and add room temperature water.
I work from home mostly, so if I’m in all day, I’ll make a big batch of lemon water and drink throughout the day. Oh so refreshing.
Here are some (of many) benefits to drinking lemon water in the morning:
- Helps digestion. It helps to flush the digestive system of toxins
- Rehydrates the body
- Helps maintain your skin’s radiance. Lemons hold antioxidants that help to decrease blemishes, acne and wrinkles
- Great source of Vitamin C, providing your body with the right nutrients for your immune system and to fight colds
- Helps your nervous system. This has been a BIG boost with my vitamin deficiency and back issues. It’s amazing the simple natural measures we can take for our bodies
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory. If you also have sciatica, please try this
- Lemons contain potassium, making it good for your heart and also your brain
- If you have anxiety or stress, lemon water has shown itself to be effective in helping to calm the nerves
- Balances pH levels
- Weight loss. If you are looking for healthier ways to drop a few pounds, incorporating lemon water can certainly help. With that said, it should be part of a healthy, balanced lifestyle in order to see results that last
- Can help with reducing your caffeine intake. I used to drink a lot of coffee. A lot. Now I only have one in the morning, and switch to green tea and lemon water through the day
The list of benefits can go on and on but even just a couple of these were enough to get me started.
Do you drink lemon water too? What changes have you noticed?